The content you develop, create, and publish is very important for your successful marketing online. The better you are at targeting the content to the right person and using the right type of content at the right place in the buying journey based on buyer intent, the more effective it will all become.
Over the course of your business, you’re going to need a variety of content to use, both internally and externally. This list isn’t all-encompassing but will give you a start to understanding how it all works together.
- Your Business Plan – This is the first content you’ll ever create for your business. From the information you develop in your business plan, you can create more content marketing materials for your customers, employees, and investors.
- Standard Operating Procedures – SOPs are important to create about every aspect of your business process. Even if it’s just you, having a process in place that you follow will increase your efficiency as well as produce better results.
- Product Content – When you create a brand-new product or service, it’s important to develop some form of product content. What does the product do? What problems does it solve? How do you do it? When do you do it? Why do you do it?
- Sales Content – You’re going to need sales scripts, sales pages, landing pages, and more to convert more people to buyers or list members. If you can create some of this as you go, it’ll be easy to grab the info when you need it.
- Customer Service Content – Creating the answers to common questions from your ideal customers is a great way to create customer service content. Start with frequently asked questions and then add to it as questions arise.
- Employee-Generated Content – If you have employees or contractors, you’ll want to create information for each person that you hire. For example, if you hire writers, you’ll want to give them branding info, product info, keywords, and other information to help them create the content for your ideal audience.
- User-Generated Content – Your customers will also help you create content such as testimonials, referrals, case studies, and more. This content can be repurposed and used by you when it’s generated on your platforms. Make sure you reveal this fact in your terms of service.
- Advertising Content – This is more like your sales pages, display ads, and the like. You’ll want to develop a template or two for this purpose that you can grab and tweak as needed.
- Marketing Content – This type of content is for using in your content marketing efforts and may include blog posts, books, white papers, infographics, and more. If you are trying to inform, educate, and convert your audience, it fits.
- Campaign Content – Each time you want to host a sale, launch a new product, or promote something in the future, you’ll want to create content specific to that campaign. This includes blog posts, email messages, social media posts, and so forth.
- Social Media Content – This gets its own spot because it’s one of the most important types of content you can publish. It gets the word out about not only your information but also your products and services.
The more types of content you can produce, the more you’ll have to repurpose at your fingertips. Organize it, starting with each broad subject and then separating into the individual smaller points. It’s important to remember that all content matters and all content deserves your full attention – including tracking, improving, and doing more of what is working and less of what is not.