Being a more authentic person is good for business but it’s also good for your personal life. When you are just a genuine person and the same person in any situation, you will feel better about yourself and you’ll be able to build a more successful business too.
Here are qualities that make a person authentic.
* They Are Consistent – An authentic person is always a lot more consistent than someone who is trying to be false. That’s just the way it is. Most people aren’t good at misinformation. They’re better at being honest, open, and truthful. When you let yourself let go of concern about others knowing the real you, consistency is never a problem.
* They Are Good at Introspection – Being able to look at yourself and reflect on who you are and be accepting of who you are, enables you to be more accepting of who other people are. When you’re not worried about what others are doing and their status over yours, it’s easier to be yourself based on your own experiences. You can admit to mistakes, you can learn from your mistakes, and you’re okay with that.
* They Are Good Listeners – A person who is authentic is really interested in others, so they are good listeners. They ask open-ended questions and get to know people better. They never feel jealous of others because they are happy for others when they experience success, and that attitude shows through.
* They Are Open – People who are authentic are often very warm people and are very open about their lives and experiences. That doesn’t mean they have to share super-personal information but if asked directly about something, they will openly say whether it is too personal or whether they’ll share. They won’t lie about it.
* They Are Team Players – An authentic person tends to play well on teams, whether it’s a sports team or a business team. That’s because they are happy for everyone to experience wins and feel no need to have the light shone only on them. They are happy to share the spotlight.
* They Are Transparent – They are easy to communicate with due to their openness. You’ll never have to try to read between the lines with an authentic person; they’ll tell you the truth about how they feel. But, by the same token, they’ll let you be yourself too. When you can appreciate yourself and others regardless of flaws, then you’re coming closer to becoming an authentic person.
* They Focus on Potential – An authentic person tends to focus on potential and often has a long-term vision of what they want to achieve. They do not react to negativity with fear, anger, or in the moment. They’re able to look ahead to the future and determine the best responses that put the whole thing in a bigger world focus.
* They Have Good Character – You’ve likely heard the quote that “Character is what you do when no one is watching”, and there is probably no better way to explain what character is than that quote. A person of good character doesn’t say things they don’t mean, lie about what they did or said, or make things up.
* They Have a Healthy Ego – If you lead from your heart you can’t really go wrong, and when you have a healthy ego, you don’t lead from fear of being taken over by someone bigger, better, or stronger. You lead from knowing that you have a good product, service, and the ability to attract your audience in an honest way.
* They Have a Vision and Share It – A person who is authentic has a constant vision that they are not afraid of sharing with others. They know how to share their vision because it’s authentically theirs and they feel confident in that vision of what they want to do and how they want it to affect their business, their audience, and the world.
* They Learn from Experience – A person who is authentic is often better at learning from their experience than others. The reason is they are not afraid to accept their own responsibility if something goes wrong. They can look at what they did and fix things based on what they did, without even worrying about what someone else did.
Being a more authentic person can sometimes be frightening because you will have to be vulnerable. You can be hurt. When people know what makes you tick, it enables them to potentially harm you. But the truth is, when you become more authentic in all aspects of your life, you’ll experience a lot more success.